Monday, November 10, 2008

Chilaquiles



I fell in love with chilaquiles after ordering them for my very first time at Novel Cafe in Westwood. I don't think I've ordered anything else from Novel since - and I go there often. I've made chilaquiles twice, using very different recipes each time (one was made with chicken, the other was an appetizer for a dinner party). This time, feeling ambitious, I decided to cook up my very own version.

Chilaquiles is a traditional Mexican dish so delicious that it has its own Wikipedia page. It's often made to use up tortillas (or tortilla chips) and tomatoes, and is (I've heard) a great hangover cure. Oh, which reminds me - this is generally a breakfast or brunch dish, but it's great for dinner as well.



Makes 2 main-course servings.

Ingredients:

For sauce:
1 14-oz can stewed tomatoes, drained
1 garlic clove, chopped
1/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth
1 teaspoon lime juice
1/2 teaspoon Tapatio (or more for extra spice)
1/3 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1/8 teaspoon salt

4-5 handfuls tortilla chips
4 eggs
1 14-oz can black beans
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 cup feta cheese
2 tablespoons sour cream, divided

Add first seven ingredients to blender or food processor. Blend 30 seconds, or until smooth. Pour into heavy, large skillet and simmer on low heat for five minutes. Add crumbled tortilla chips to tomato sauce and simmer for five additional minutes. Tortilla chips should be soft, but still intact (not too mushy).

Meanwhile, scramble eggs (with milk or water if you'd like) in separate skillet. Heat black beans in medium saucepan (three burners at once!).

Assemble on plate: first, scoop on tomato-tortilla mixture. Add eggs and beans on top, or to the side. Sprinkle on feta cheese and onion; spoon a dollop of sour cream on each plate.

Serve immediately.

No comments: