Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Apple Oatmeal Muffins: An Experiment

After making my apple pie, I had lots of cinnamon-sugar coated apples left over (apparently six apples was two too many...), but didn't want them to go to waste. I wanted to somehow integrate the leftover apples with some leftover oatmeal I had from the Fall Fruit Crumble I made recently, so I put my Googling skills to the test. I found an Apple Oatmeal Muffin recipe on Cooks.com, and adapted it to work with my sugary apples. The result was very good, and my roommates will back me up on this one. These muffins are more dense than fluffy, and make a great breakfast treat. Brown sugar sprinkled on the top of each muffin before baking puts them over the top!



Adapted from Cooks.com

Ingredients:

3/4 cup skim milk
2 egg whites
1 cup raisins (optional)
1 apple, finely chopped
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (more or less to your own taste)
1/4 cup brown sugar

Mix all ingredients just enough to moisten. Pour into muffin cups 3/4 full; either well greased or with cupcake liners. Sprinkle brown sugar on top of each muffin. Bake at 400 degrees 15 to 20 minutes.

No comments: